1. Which one of the following is the correct DNA match (complementary base sequence) for the strand "TTT" ?
2. One of the most important chemicals that cells use to store and give off energy is which one of the following?
3. Our cells (using cellular respiration) produce energy by breaking down _________.
4. What is the correct equation for cellular respiration?
a. Oxygen + Glucose -----> Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy
b. Oxygen + Glucose + Energy -----> Carbon Dioxide + Water
c. Carbon Dioxide + Water -----> Oxygen + Glucose + Energy
d. Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy -----> Oxygen + Glucose
5. An organism that uses the sun to produce energy-rich molecules is called which one of the following?
6. A heritable characteristic that increases an organism's ability to survive and reproduce in its environment is called an ___________.
7. Which one of the following best describes a rat?
c. autotroph and producer
d. autotroph and consumer
c. heterotroph and producer
d. heterotroph and consumer
8. In science, a ___________ is a well-tested explanation that accounts for a lot of observations and hypotheses, and that lets scientists make good predictions.
9. The three stages of cellular respiration are ____________ .
a. producer, consumer, decomposer
b. glycolysis, Krebs cycle, electron transport chain
c. DNA, RNA, ATP
d. DNA, RNA, m-RNA
10. DNA is which one of the following?
c. nucleic acid
11. In plants, photosynthesis takes place in which one of the following?
b. cell membrane
c. cell wall
12. Organisms that cannot make their own food and must obtain energy by consuming other organisms are called ____________.
13. Which one of the following removes carbon (in the form of carbon dioxide) from the atmosphere and releases oxygen to the atmosphere?
c. cellular respiration
14. A student wanted to examine plant growth using five different amounts of water for daily plant watering. She planted the same type of seeds in identical containers with identical soil. She left the plants together in full sunlight. She gave each plant a different amount of water and charted the growth of each plant stem. What is the independent variable in this experiment?
15. Many scientists suggest that billions of years ago, life on Earth began with ___________.
a. simple, single-celled organisms
b. simple, multicellular organisms
c. complex, single-celled organisms
b. complex, multicellular organisms
16. The Kingdom Fungi (including yeast) encompasses some of the most important organisms, both in terms of their ecological and economic roles. By breaking down dead organic material, they continue the cycle of nutrients through ecosystems. In addition, most vascular plants could not grow without the symbiotic fungi (mycorrhizae) that inhabit their roots and supply essential nutrients. Other fungi provide numerous drugs, such as penicillin and other antibiotics. Which of the following is true?
a. fish are members of the Fungi Kingdom
b. bacteria are members of the Fungi Kingdom
c. yeast are members of the Fungi Kingdom
d. None of the above
17. Which one of the following definitions for genetic terminology is NOT correct?
a. Trait: any characteristic that can be passed from parent to offspring.
b. Heredity: passing of traits from parent to offspring.
c. Recessive Gene: the stronger and more dominant of two genes.
d. Genetics: the study of heredity.
18. For the purpose of classification, which one of the following starts at very general and moves to very specific?
a. Order - Kingdom - Species - Class - Phylum - Genus - Family
b. Order - Kingdom - Species - Class - Genus - Phylum - Family
c. Species - Genus - Family - Order - Class - Phylum - Kingdom
d. Kingdom - Phylum - Class - Order - Family - Genus - Species
19. The series of steps in which "large fish eats a small fish that has eaten algae" describes which one of the following?
a. food web
b. food chain
c. anaerobic process
d. abiotic process
20. Protein is made of which one of the following?
a. fatty acids
c. amino acids